Tuesday, 11 November 2014

When It's Just Too Much.


Everyone goes through times when everything just seems a bit too much and I'll bet you're one of them. Unfortunately that's me right now.

It's nearly Christmas and everything is full steam ahead with work, personal life and anything else in between. Everyday feels like a mission to get something done whether it's small or big and it can all build up so quickly. Just recently I feel like I've been buckling under the weight of my responsibilities and letting them get on top of me. I think it's important to address issues like that before they take over. I'm not exactly the perfect of example of that though I'll be honest, but I really am trying to change that for both myself and those around me.
I had a bumper year of sadness in 2013 with a lot of personal loss, heartache and tough days. Since then, I've had this horrible habit of keeping it all locked up until I explode either into tears, go silent inside my own head or start snapping at the first person to ask me if I'm okay. Not ideal and not fair on my wonderful friends. So I'm trying my best to let go (I don't know how well I'm actually doing at it) and not let it get the best of me. Those dark days are behind me and only brighter ones ahead.

But what I also learnt is that you should never forget to let yourself feel what you want to feel. If you feel sad and want to cry, then cry. If you feel angry/wound up for whatever reason, then let it out. Grab a pillow and yell into it or give it a whack. And most importantly, if someone has upset you, or you've upset them, talk about it. Don't let it eat away at you, it'll only make it worse and usually, bigger than it actually is. It's okay to feel all these things and show them, it's just knowing when to say to yourself "Okay, I've done that now. I feel better, time to move on."

And finally, I just want to take this opportunity to say thank you to all my of my friends who are there for me when things get too much, with a special thank you to Tom, Dan, Chloe and Jack for the late night talks, group evenings in cheering me up, buying me A LOT of takeaway and for always being just a phone call away.
My biggest thank you however, goes to Ciaran <3 A man who has so much patience, love and time for me it's crazy. He never lets me sink too low and knows when to pull me back up. I quite honestly don't know what I'd do without him. He's my Penguin & I love him with everything I have :)

Keep your chins up guys! S'gonna be okay.

2 comments:

  1. You're so right in that you have to let the feelings out and shouldn't feel bad about needing to have a cry or feel upset. Sometimes there seems to be so much pressure on us all to feel happy all of the time and it's just not obtainable. The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris is a really good book about this topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree. There is a lot of pressure to just be happy. I might look into that book actually. Bet that would be a really interesting read! Thanks :)

      Delete